Position Description – Associate Pastor (Families & Worship)
Objectives of the Position:
- To lead & develop the church’s ministry to families as part of the WBC leadership team
- To oversee the church’s worship & music ministry at Sunday morning services
Responsible to: Senior Pastor
Wallsend Baptist Church (WBC) is a medium-sized fellowship located in the city of Newcastle in the Hunter region of NSW and is a constituted member church of the Baptist Association of NSW/ACT. The church has been part of our community for around 160 years, a community that is currently experiencing tremendous population growth. We are actively seeking to explore new opportunities for ministry and mission including church planting.
WBC is looking for a spiritually-mature, biblically-grounded, and musically gifted Christian to lead our worship & families ministries at WBC as part of the pastoral team. The scope of this role is to facilitate and promote worship, discipleship, community and mission. The ideal candidate has experience leading worship at a similar sized church, experience in shepherding ministry teams, gifts and experience working with children & families and a broad knowledge of Christian worship music across multiple styles and generations.
WBC is seeking a person who has a confirmed calling to ministry and maintains a lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements for leaders (1 Tim. 3:1-13; 2 Tim. 2; Titus 1:5-9) –someone who has high personal integrity and seeks to empower others to use their gifts. The person should be able to work well in a team as well as show initiative. The successful applicant will need to ascribe to the NSW/ACT Baptist Association statement of faith and be committed to WBC’s Safe Church Policy.
- Provide oversight (in conjunction with the Senior Pastor) to determine and plan the direction, content and style of worship services – including music, creative aspects and technology.
- Roster, resource, train & facilitate worship team AND lead worship services on a regular basis
- Manage ministry budgets for worship and families and be able to work within that budget
- Lead and develop WBC’s Families@5 ministry (initially once per month)
- Mentor and develop families and worship ministry team members
- Pioneer and develop a Mainly Music style ministry
- Work collaboratively with existing children’s ministry team
A person who:
- loves Jesus and is in a growing relationship with Him.
- is self-aware, well organised and motivated; a life-long learner who loves people and enjoys engaging with a diversity of individuals and groups.
- demonstrates the fruits of the Spirit in word and deed as they carry out their role.
Grows, Trains and Encourages volunteers by:
- demonstrating a pastoral care for team members
- developing a process to regularly identify, give opportunity to and support new volunteers
- facilitating training and mentoring of worship leaders and teams as required.
- Preaching gifts (the ability to provide a supplementary preaching role)
- An understanding of the technical aspects of the worship ministry. (PA, Multimedia, Planning Center etc).
- Looks for ways to inspire non-musical worship experiences at WBC.
- Background or experience with the Early Childhood sector
- Proven experience in leading worship and managing teams in a church setting.
- Significant skill as a vocalist and/or instrumentalist.
- A Bachelor level degree in Theology or Ministry or currently undertaking such studies.
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current National Police Check
- Ministry stipend and allowances in accordance with the Baptist Association of NSW/ACT Guidelines and based on experience and qualifications.
- Laptop or desktop computer will be provided by WBC.
- 2-3 days per week time allocation to be decided in consultation and agreement with the Senior Pastor and Church Executive
- Negotiated phone allowance and reimbursements of agreed ministry expenses.
There is scope for this role to grow and develop as the church grows, and the Lord leads. This may include funding for additional hours, and the opportunity to shape the role around the gifting of the candidate.