- This event has passed.
Pray for Myanmar
24/11/2021 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
After the news of yet more bombings, burnings, and attacks on civilians, Myanmar/Burmese pastors within the Australian Baptist movement are calling for as many Australian pastors and church leaders as possible to join a Zoom Briefing on November 24 (7:30 AEDT) to hear about the ongoing campaign of violence from the military Junta in Myanmar and respond in prayer.
The Zoom meeting is a special invitation for Baptist pastors and church leaders supported by Australian Baptist Ministries. It will feature voices from our Myanmar/Burmese diaspora communities. There is no assumed knowledge for this event – organisers intend to explain the situation, and what pastors and local churches can do to pray and act in solidarity.
Violence condemned by Baptists
The Asia Pacific Baptist Federation (which represents 33,000 churches across 22 Asia Pacific nations) is calling for solidarity from the global Baptist movement after taking the rare step of condemning:
- attacks on unarmed civilians protestors
- destruction of religious places of worship
- the recent artillery attacks on the village of Thantlang on October 29th 2021 by the Military Junta in Myanmar and calling for solidarity from the global Baptist movement.
“On the other hand, the faithful servants of our Lord are tirelessly risking their health and lives, and possible arrest by the junta to provide the needs of the victims of Covid-19 and civil war innovatively and creatively by doing what they can and using what they have on the ground.” – Open letter from Myanmar Diaspora Prayer Network
A time for the church to respond as one body
We understand not everyone will be available to attend this briefing but we encourage you to arrange someone else from your church to attend, so that all Baptist churches are made aware of one of the most pressing issues facing the Baptist movement.
Prayer and public pressure are essential to protect those – including Baptists – who are displaced by artillery attacks and other violence. Please join the Asia Pacific Baptist Federation in praying
- For peace, safety and security of children and their families
- For peace and reconciliation in Myanmar
- For democracy to be upheld and restored
- For the safety and protection of all citizens of Myanmar of all ethnicities from violence and brutality