Pastors & Leaders eNews - February 2023
Welcome to a new year of mission and ministry! I trust the Christmas and January period was a time of refreshment, perhaps with some annual leave or a quieter time of preparation and reflection as the year begins.
As the year gets underway I am reminded again of the importance of keeping fresh in ministry and learning. There are a number of great opportunities mentioned in this eNews. Our first online Pastors and Leaders Insights hour for the year is in two weeks. The regional Connect Leaders and Teams Days for those involved in kids, families, youth and SRE ministry are great opportunities of equipping. The upcoming leadership masterclass on managing Leadership Anxiety will be a morning well spent. And this year we launch our occasional online Lunch and Learn sessions for those wanting to be equipped with the latest updates in administrative, financial and organisational matters for your church.
We also continue to remember those across our state who are in the recovery stage from natural disasters in 2022. Please continue to be praying for churches in the central west, northern rivers and other places who continue the long haul of serving their communities in the wake of the record-breaking floods of last year.
As we meet the opportunities and challenges of 2023 I’m reminded that the Holy Spirit is at work and Jesus continues to invite us into his mission. What a privilege that is! I pray that this year you may know his strong presence and enabling as you serve Him!
Insights Online Gathering
Insights will be returning on Zoom on February 22!
Over the first half of 2023 we’re focusing intentionally on the well-being of pastors and leaders. For February we’re delighted to welcome author and pastor Graeme Anderson (Senior Pastor / Northside Baptist Church) to share practical insights around developing sustained resilience.
To catch up on previous Insights gatherings go to https://nswactbaptists.org.au/insights/ to view Zoom recordings and other resources.
Managing Leadership Anxiety - Masterclass by Steve Cuss - 27 Feb
Baptist World Aid Australia have partnered with guest speaker Steve Cuss to deliver a series of Managing Leadership Anxiety Masterclasses for Christian leaders around Australia in 2023. The proceeds from these workshops will be used to help fund Baptist World Aid projects that have immediate and pressing needs.
Monday 27 February 2023, 9am-12pm
Northern Life Baptist Church, 1 Pretoria Parade, Hornsby, NSW 2077
In his workshops, Steve provides tools that will help leaders notice, name and diffuse reactivity triggers in them and their people, and to lead with freedom and peace. He will also interview one of our overseas Christian Partners to discuss their experience leading in a time of crisis. Morning tea and a time of prayer will also be included.
If you aren’t familiar with Steve Cuss, Steve is the author of Managing Leadership Anxiety: Yours and Theirs, and is the founder of Capable Life, an online community helping people to function as calm, aware and present leaders at work and at home. He’s served in a variety of pastoral roles for 26 years, most of those years as a lead pastor. Steve grew up in Perth and moved to the United States for theological study which is where he currently lives with his family. You can find out more about Steve here.
For more information or to register, click here. If you have any event questions, please email email@example.com.
It’s Time to Connect!!!!
As we emerge from a time of disconnection our perspective on the importance of connection is sharpened. Through our connections our identity and purpose are developed.
There’s so much encouragement from gathering together! Connect seeks to encourage local churches as we gather ministry teams across a region together to be inspired, equipped and encouraged.
In 2023 Connect includes people serving across kids and family ministry, youth ministry and SRE. We are excited by the potential of sharing time together across generational ministries.
Connect is a day of high-quality input and the opportunity for deeper engagement with other leaders in a similar ministry area to you in your region.
Connect is for anyone who wants to be part of the shaping of the future of ministry with, for and from kids, youth and their families.
This includes both paid and volunteer leaders involved in Youth groups, Sunday kids’ programs, Playgroup, Kids’ Clubs, Holiday Programs SRE and intergenerational ministry
Kim Smith the Emerging Leaders Pastor at the Baptist Union of Victotria will help us explore why connection matters for children and young people. There will be locally facilitated workshops at each venue including supporting children and young people with anxiety, developing younger leaders and more. There will be space for worship, prayer and contemplative experiences, plus fun and food and time to connect, share ideas and encourage one another.
Saturday 18th March 9am-2pm
- Sydney North – Ministry & Learning Centre, Macquarie Park
- Sydney South – Sans Souci Baptist
- Hunter – Belair Baptist Church
- Illawarra/South Coast – South Coast Life Church, Berry
- Sydney West – Glenbrook Baptist
Saturday 25th March 9am-2pm
- Riverina – Wagga Wagga Baptist
- Western Districts – Molong Baptist
- Central Coast – Narara Valley Baptist Church
Stay tuned for details in these regions including dates and locations:
- Northern beaches
For more information and to register https://nswactbaptists.org.au/connect/
NSW State Election - Candidate Forums coming to a church near you
In the lead up to the 2023 NSW Election, churches in most electorates across NSW are hosting “meet the candidate” forums. Freedom for Faith is helping to coordinate these events, and is keeping a list of the events at https://freedomforfaith.org.au/nsw/
Our Association is a partner organisation of Freedom for Faith. This is a great opportunity to build stronger connections with our politicians, and make our voice heard. With 50 events planned, most churches will have an event for their electorate, or an electorate nearby. All the events will be live streamed for those who cannot get there in person, or want to watch it at a later date.
The purpose of the events is to give local Christians an opportunity to hear directly from their major candidates, and to ask them questions. They will also demonstrate to our politicians that local Christians are engaged with policy, and give them an understanding of our concerns. The events will have some set questions put to candidates, and will also be accepting questions from the floor.
You can find all the information about your local event at https://freedomforfaith.org.au/nsw/
Freedom for Faith can also provide you with resources to promote the event. For those resources, or for any questions, you can contact Mike Southon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Church Leaders Playbook and Lunch and Learn Session
This year we launch the Church Leader’s Playbook with the aim of resourcing our Church Administrative Leaders. It includes a quarterly newsletter along with a quarterly Lunch and Learn sessions where we will be presenting on a topic that would be of interest or relevance to Church Administrative Leaders. Our first one is on Single Touch Payroll 2 (STP2), focusing how to report your ministers pay.
Single Touch Payroll commenced in 2018 and requires organisations to report on employees’ payroll information using STP enabled software.
From 1 January 2022, a mandatory expansion of STP known as STP2 commenced, requiring further information to be reported.
This session will provide guidance on STP2, how to report your ministers’ non-cash benefits correctly and what this means for your minister.
To register click here
SENT Church Planting Certificate and Church Planting Semi-Intensive
SENT is a one-year experience that equips missional leaders for ministry in our rapidly changing world. It is for anyone who isn’t simply interested in “content download” but wants to be trained in an environment where practical application, relevant experience, and formation are crucial for learning.
Participants have the opportunity to connect with other pioneers who have a dream for planting or missional leadership, as well as be trained by some of our best practitioners and theoreticians inside and outside our movement.
SENT is a partnership between Morling College and Gen1K Church Multiplication. The subjects are offered in a variety of modes, including online, face-to-face and live streaming. It is cohort-based, and each participant has the opportunity to be placed in a church plant or to receive coaching from experienced practitioners.
The SENT Residency Program is a finishing school for church planters. A residency is more than an internship, but not quite a full-fledged pastoral position. It is experienced-based learning embedded within a Resource Church or Church Planting Network who have a goal for church multiplication.
For more information click here
Ordinary Assembly 2022 Update
If you missed the last email from the Assembly Council distributed December last year, use the following link to view the email in your browser.
Job Opportunities - Morling College
Receptionist & Administrative Assistant – Ministry and Learning Centre Macquarie Park
The role of Receptionist & Administrative Assistant (NSW) is an important position in the organisation, responsible for key administrative processes and being the first point of introduction to our Sydney campus. The position’s primary objective is to assist the organisation in providing warm, efficient, and accurate administrative service to existing and prospective staff, students and key stakeholders of the College.
This position is full-time, 5 days per week and will be set at Educational Services (Post-Secondary Education) Award classification General staff, level 3.2. Attendance at relevant meetings may occur outside of business hours and additional hours may be necessary during peak periods. The Receptionist & Administrative Assistant (NSW) will be a long-standing member of the dynamic and always growing Corporate Administration team with opportunities to directly contribute to the future of the organisation.
- Welcoming visitors to the Ministry and Learning centre (MALC) and ensuring that visitor requirements are met efficiently, professionally, and with care.
- Maintaining and managing the internal and external room booking processes for the MALC and other buildings on the Morling campus.
- Coordinating the MALC’s inter-organisational events.
- Working alongside event managers to support academic and organisation specific events (e.g., conferences, seminars, training days).
- Oversight of Level 1 and 2 of the MALC building.
- Serve as a First Aid Officer and Fire Warden for the MALC.
- Performing reception duties and providing office assistance.
- Participation in the life of the College.
Essential Key Attributes:
- Previous experience in reception, concierge, or customer service.
- Holds current First Aid Certification or willing to undertake.
- Strong software competence including Microsoft and Google platforms.
- Demonstrates Christian character and active involvement in a local evangelical church.
- Alignment of personal values, beliefs and practices with the mission and Christian ethos of Morling College.
- Agreement with Morling College’s Community Code.
- Proven organisation and time management skills.
- Professional and warm communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully partner with various teams/organisations.
- Ability to remain poised when under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Administratively minded and able to display flexibility in the accountability of duties.
- Possesses the desire to serve others.
- Ability to refine and improve systems, procedures, and protocols to enhance the customer experience.
- Ability to handle cashier transactions.
- Ability to coordinate external event bookings.
- A positive and inclusive team culture.
- Free on-site parking.
- Above award remuneration.
- Employee Assistance Program Support: Our employees are encouraged to use this free short-term, confidential counselling service if they are experiencing emotional stress, relationship problems, conflict with others or personal issues. Also includes financial coaching, nutritional support and legal referrals.
How to Apply:
- Please apply with a cover letter briefly responding to the Essential Key Attributes above along with a current CV.
- Kindly note that applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed.
- We reserve the right to employ at any stage if a suitable candidate is identified.